Sunday, August 5, 2012

Best news EVER

Today is August 1, for those of you keeping track. Today we got some exciting news: Hillary Clinton will be passing through Malawi this Sunday, on her way from Senegal to South Africa, and all PC volunteers and trainees have been invited to a reception withher and her posse at the ambassador's residence in Lilongwe!

Not quite site announcements, but pretty awesome. We'll be treking into Lilongwe again, probably going somewhere for food afterwards, possibly even finding some internet? You'll all know if that happens because this blog will get posted, along with the two I've already written. People who brought iphones will be attempting to get them unlocked. Who knows what crazy things we could do outside the village!

Added bonus: built in excuse to not go to church. All of us trainees went week 1 of homestay, but most of us haven't gone since, and every week at least 5 members of my extended family ask if I'm going. I've tried explaining that I'm Jewish and pray at a temple, and they say they understand, but then they still ask if I'm going to church, and ask if church in America is the same as church in Malawi. I'm going to need some further Chichewa skills to cross this cultural divide.

Another funny moment: even though everyone here knows who the American president is, not everyone knows about Hillary. But some of my friends' host parents knew, so I thought I'd try to tell my amayi and abambo. Much confusion ensued, with my abambo deciding we were going to see the ambassador. In messy Chichewa I was trying to say, yes the ambassador will be there, but this is someone from the government in America, not the president or vice president, but someone very important (this broke down when I couldn't remember the word for important). At least they understood that I'll be going to Lilongwe on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment